Monday, January 24, 2011

Sauteed Brussel Sprouts with Apples and Pinenuts



I have the flu. It is horrible. Netflix and Amy's no-chicken chicken noodle soup are helping me get by, but still--it's a doozy. However, before I got sick I managed to try out a brussel sprouts recipe from 101 Cookbooks that was quite tasty and simple--something I think would make a perfect side dish for a Thanksgiving meal or Sunday dinner. I love the way the apples give an extra crunch and sweetness to an otherwise ordinary brussel sprouts dish. It's funny how brussel sprouts have gone from being my least favorite vegetable as a child to now one of my favorites. Taste buds change over time I guess, but I think it might also have something to do with the fact that nowadays, more often than not I eat my brussel sprouts with a healthy dose of olive oil...and olive oil makes pretty much everything taste good! Though apparently no amount of apples or olive oil were going to keep away the nasty flu bug this time.

olive oil
salt
2 cloves of garlic, minced
1 tablespoon maple syrup (I used honey instead)
1 apple, diced
8 oz (give or take) brussel sprouts
1/3 cup toasted pinenuts, chopped

Sautee garlic in olive oil and pinch of salt over medium heat, then add maple syrup. Stir for 30 second and add apple, sautee for another minute. Transfer apple-garlic mixture to another bowl and in same pan, heat a bit more olive oil and then sautee brussel sprouts to your liking (I like mine golden brown). Mix apple mixture back in and half of the pinenuts. Stir, then serve, sprinkling remaining pinenuts over each serving. Eat immediately (brussel sprouts don't sit out well).

No comments:

Post a Comment